(General Information)

In the Free State of Saxony, the legal General Licence has been put in place to administrate academic degrees obtained abroad. Holders of foreign degrees are themselves responsible for ensuring they are authorised to hold the academic degree. In doing so, they must meet the regulations of § 44 of the Saxon Universities Act (see Legal basis). More information is available from the Saxon State Ministry of Science and Art.

These degrees are not converted to a German equivalent.

An exception only applies to refugees according to § 10 of the Law on the affairs of displaced persons and refugees (Federal Refugees Act) for refugees, their spouses and offspring, but not for spouses of offspring. These persons may, under certain circumstances, request that their university degree obtained abroad be converted to an equivalent German university degree.