Refugees, their spouses and offspring can request that their university degree obtained abroad be converted to an equivalent German university degree if

  • they are entitled persons according to § 10 of the Federal Refugees Act,
  • an equivalent German degree exists, and
  • they have not lodged any relevant request with any other authority in the Federal Republic of Germany.

The requirements for the recognition itself vary greatly, and always depend on the individual case.